Welcome to the final installment of this series and the last article of 2013! In this final edition we’re going to look at some of the highlights of coming European makes and models. Let’s begin with Audi, specifically the 2014 Audi RS7. In this video, Motor Trend’s Carlos Lago tests the new Audi RS7 through over 500 miles of German roads, including top-speed blasts on the unrestricted Autobahn.
With 560 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque from its twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8, the RS7 eclipses even the R8’s 5.2-liter V-10 in power delivery. We find out just how monstrous the resulting acceleration is — as well as the top speed — though the green countryside of southern Germany.
Mercedes-Benz has some fantastic new models. Let’s have as look at the 2014 S550.
Here’s an additional video on the new S Class from Mercedes themselves. In their words, “With the three engineering priorities ‘Intelligent Drive’, ‘Efficient Technology’ and ‘Essence of Luxury’, the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class extends the boundaries of technology on many levels. The S-Class is not just a technological spearhead for Mercedes-Benz but for automotive development as a whole.”
Now onto BMW. The all new BMW 4-Series right now consists of two coupes. The BMW 428i and 435i. Here are the main bullet points of the new breed of BMW:
- Uses BMW 3-series sedan wheelbase, but the coupe is lower and wider. 1.5 in wider in the front, 2.4in wider in the rear
- 4-series has “lowest center of gravity of any BMW car currently on sale”. And it shows
- On sale now. starts at $40,500 for 428i, 435i starts at $46,000
- Engines are carry-over. 2.0-liter 4 cylinder turbo with 241 hp / 258 torque. 3.0-liter straight six with 300 hp / 295 torque
- Both trims are available with xDrive all wheel drive
In a sea of compact cars that have a lot of glitz and gimmick for the price, the Jetta remains the one apart with a different flavor and restraint. Here’s the update on the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE.
And that does it for our four-part series, Cool Cars Coming in 2014!As we stated at the beginning of the article, this is also our last one for the year, We’ll see you in 2014!